EARTH WEEK: DAY ONE

"The love of gardening is a seed once sown that never dies." ...Gertrude Jekyll

CARING FOR YOUR SEEDLINGS

As your seedlings grow stronger, thorough but less frequent watering is needed to encourage root growth.

They will need partial shade when young but should be increasingly exposed to the sun so they become used to conditions in the garden. Water in the morning rather than at night.

TRANSPLANTING YOUR SEEDLINGS

Mark where you plan to put each of your plants. Use a trowel to make a hole large enough to take the root system.

Gently ease out the vegetable seedling from its container taking as much of the soil as you can with it into the garden bed or new container.

Firm the soil around the plant in its new position, cover the area with mulch and water it gently.

It is best to transplant seedlings in the late afternoon or evening to give the plants time to settle before being subjected to midday sun.

*A note about soil: several failed gardening attempts later and I can tell you that nothing matters more than the soil. Take time to create either a simple mound, raised bed or container that combines your 'native soil' and compost (if you don't have any at home, a small bag can be purchased at any nursery). Soil that maintains moisture without over saturating the roots is ideal. I find in my yard that vegetables grow much better above ground in mounds and beds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

YUMMY WORDS


“Everything is blooming most recklessly; if it were voices instead of colors, there would be an unbelievable shrieking into the heart of the night.”

~ Rainer Maria Rilke


“I still get wildly enthusiastic about little things... I play with leaves. I skip down the street and run against the wind.”

~ Leo F. Buscaglia