The First Egg

Ask anyone who has ever raised chickens and they will all tell you the same thing--the greatest moment is finding the first egg. My reaction was no different except that my joy had an even broader significance.

Pullets (the technical terms for hens under a year old) typically start laying eggs anytime after they are 21 weeks old. Which means that if you've started with newborn chicks, you've been feeding and caring for them for about six months before any laying begins. Even though you know the eggs are coming, after months of being around the birds and enjoying them in their own right it's easy to lose sight of the ultimate egg goal.

Days and weeks go by with the same routine--giving them fresh food and water, cleaning out their coop...and then suddenly, one day there it is. The first egg. Even after all the anticipation and effort that goes into achieving precisely this result, it can still feel a little like a surprise.

When I discovered my chickens' first egg a few months ago, I briefly had the sensation of, "Wait, what's that doing there?" and the feeling that it was almost some kind of magic trick. Part of that reaction was just my inner city-girl, but another part was my profound amazement and appreciation of one of the many wonders of nature.

Beyond the thrill of the egg itself however, was also my deep gratitude for the friendship and community that were such a large part of making this small backyard miracle happen.

Ever since I was in my twenties, I had wanted to have chickens, but living in various rental (and otherwise unsuitable) properties it was never possible. Even so, I used to check out books on raising poultry from the library and would actually draw up theoretical designs for future fantasy chicken coops. (Over the years I learned this was not something to admit in casual conversation).

After moving to Marin and having children, the chicken dream finally started to seem possible. Still though I was mostly dreaming and talking about it until I learned that another family at MdTL had chickens in their backyard. As soon as I heard I impolitely invited myself over to their house. From that point on a friendship was formed and another chicken-raising family was born.

Within a few weeks I was tending to a handful of baby chicks under a heat lamp in our guest room, followed by building a small coop in the backyard. Throughout it all my fellow chicken-loving, MdTL mom was my biggest support and mentor. Lending me books and supplies, fielding late night worried emails about odd chick behavior and then holding my hand when one of the chicks died.

So months later when the first egg arrived, I wasn't just celebrating the result of one chicken's biology but also the beauty of friendship and community.


Photo and post by Beth LaDove of http://www.salmoncabin.com

1 comment:

  1. Good for you that you "impolitely" invited yourself over to your future chicken mama friend's house! I am inspired by this beautiful story about following your heart.

    ReplyDelete

YUMMY WORDS


“Everything is blooming most recklessly; if it were voices instead of colors, there would be an unbelievable shrieking into the heart of the night.”

~ Rainer Maria Rilke


“I still get wildly enthusiastic about little things... I play with leaves. I skip down the street and run against the wind.”

~ Leo F. Buscaglia